Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 16:50:50 -0500

OK, Bill, if you think we can have a calm, reasoned discussion on this,
I'll re-enter the lists.

I have several nits to pick with your post, but most of them aren't
important enough to lead off with. But late in the post you *did* arrive at
the crux of the matter.

Certification is not directed at keeping anybody out of a profession
but on bringing them up to speed in the quickest time possible--as
determined by members of the profession, not by the academe nor by
industry.

If this were truly the goal of certification, we could achieve this quickly
wihtout the cost or controversy of testing. If all you are wanting to do is
direct new entrants to the profession toward the skill set they need, there
is no need either for testing or for certificates and the additional
financial burden they by definition impose. All you need do is list the
skill set.

The only purpose behind a costly testing program with a published outcome
is to divide a group into those who pass the test and those who do not. (In
a quest to reach the fundamental issue, let us leave aside for the moment
the thorny question of whether testing is proof of anything other than the
ability to pass a test and assume testing is able to determine if a person
has achieved competance. Publishing the outcome of this test is not
necessary if the real goal is feedback on the individual's development. The
person could take the test and privately be informed of the result. But
when the result in question is published -- via the awarding of a
certificate -- it's clear to see that the purpose is *not* primarily
feedback to the one being tested but rather the division of those tested
into publicly branded "passed" and "failed" categories.)

Can we then agree that this "roadmap into the profession" idea is *not* the
reason for certification, but merely a by-product of it? (This is also
leaving aside the question of whether it's possible to create such a
roadmap in the first place. There are difficulties in that endeavor as
well, but we needn't go into them at all if we can agree that a
certification process is not a necessary condition for the existence of
such a roadmap in the first
place.)

Those are the problems that certification solves. It defines the
skills of the profession. (You'll hear me say that a few times.)

You know, I get real twitchy when I see such rear-drive horsecarts. If a
certification program is to have any value at all it must *not* define the
skills of a profession, but rather be defined *by* the skills of the
profession.

I got a similar wrong-headed twitch when I read the statement that the
required skill set must be defined, not by those who use the services in
question, but rather by those who provide the services. We can define skill
sets all we want, but if they don't coincide with the skill set the market
wants, the well-intentioned list is irrelevant.

For me, the fundamental issue in Certification is restraint of trade. No
matter what gets said, it boils down to the certified getting hiring
preference over the non-certified at all quality-minded shops. No pro-
certification viewpoint has ever adequately defused that issue. Which boils
down to discrimination based solely on possession/lack of a piece of paper,
not ability or merit. Which is fundamentally Unfair. (Speaking of which, I
should point out that the pro-certification viewpoint would maintain that
the possession of the piece of paper is identical with the possession of
ability or merit, or, alternatively, that possession of the paper
constitues a high level of probability of possession of ability. In the
second case, the unfortunate ones who are able but undocumented and
therefore excluded are an acceptable loss.)

So perhaps the first step in a reasonable discussion of the issues is for
the pro-certification viewpoint to admit that the purpose of certification
is to provide a certain class of people (the certified) with an advantage
in hiring, and to similarly hinder the hiring of those not in the class
(the uncertified). The two propositions are equivalent because hiring is a
zero-sum game; there is no way for all applicants for the same position to
win. One must obtain the position while the others lose. If we have
agreement on this point maybe we can go on to accurately define the classes
in question.

Ideas?

Have fun,
Arlen