Re: Long-distance contracts

Subject: Re: Long-distance contracts
From: John Posada <JOHN -dot- POSADA -at- EY -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:00:08 -0400

>> RE: Fabien says he can do work for a client around the world just as well as
for a client down the street.

Fabien...I hate to say this, but no, you can't. Maybe you can do work from a
distance, but you (or anyone, nothing personal) cannot handle contracts "just
as easily" as you can in person.

I also have a "darn good" settup at home...desktop and portable Pentiums,
modem, ISDN, groupware (Lotus Notes), all the software you can possibly think
of, teleconferencing with video capabilty, etc. However, what I (or you) don't
have from off-site is the ability to grab 2 or 3 associates, drag them to an
empty conference room, and take care of a
problem/issue/situation/assignment/etc., immediately.

There is a difference between working at home a couple of days a week from a
home office and being in one country and working for a company in another
country.

I have writers come to me proposing that I use them for either long-term or
permanent positions and they tell me the same thing...that they can handle the
assignment just as well as sonmeone who can show up at the spur of the moment
When I start asking them how they will handle certain situations, they realize
that there isd a difference between doing something "barely right", and doing
it well. I can't use "barely right". I need the best I can get when I need
it.

John Posada
Tactical Applications Group
Ernst & Young