Re: are tw-interviewers incompetent by definition?

Subject: Re: are tw-interviewers incompetent by definition?
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 18:03:43 PDT

There are countless cases we are all familiar with, in which a company hires
a tech writer for the first time. Every one else is an engineer. They know
they need to get a tech writer on board, but don't know how to tell good
documents from bad. They could give a test, but don't know how to do that.
With certification, the certifying organization gives the test and can verify
that this person has passed the test and will bring the benefits of the
profession into the company.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- dsc -dot- com>, on 6/16/97 2:59 PM:
***the key phrase is "...especially those who are not skilled technical
communicators themselves." How come the expectation is that the
people hiring other kinds of technical help are skilled in the areas
they're hiring for, but that the person hiring a technical communicator
is inept at the skill s/he's hiring for??

--------
Ernie Tamminga
Director, InfoEngineering
Digital Sound Corporation
Opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of Digital
Sound Corporation