Re[2]: Certification Redux

Subject: Re[2]: Certification Redux
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:42:45 -0500

the indication that you have met the standards set by your
professional peers,

Or is it really "...met the standards set by a small roomful of people?"

I keep hammering at the idea of the benefits of certification in my
messages on this topic, because that's what I see as the first question we
need to answer. If there's no compelling benefit to it, then we can all
save ourselves the hassle of trying to define the core competencies and all
the rest of the trappings. Oh, some things have been mentioned, but none of
them *required* the certification process. I need to hear something
compelling, something that will make me want to stand up and shout "That's
it!"

I've been waiting to hear what the magic certificate is going to gain us
that isn't available via other, less objectionable (or "objected-to,"
whichever phrasing you feel more comfortable with) means. Anyone? Speak up.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224