Making myself marketable

Subject: Making myself marketable
From: Kathleen Padova <kpadova -at- ASICENTRAL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 10:39:00 -0500

Eric asked:

With that in mind, what do _you_ do to increase your
marketability and potential for a newer, better, more
satisfying position, either at your current employer
or elsewhere? Or, what should certain of your co-workers, ex-managers,or
current and former employees consider to make themselves more valuable in the
marketplace?

******

I started, but never finished, an undergraduate degree in Techinical and
Science Communication (after going though several other majors). Hasn't hurt me
a bit. More employers want to know how long I've been writing and what tools I
can use. I think I would scream if I had to sit through another tech writing
class.

At my current job, I have identified about a half dozen areas that could
benefit by someone learning more about the tool, process, etc. Since working
here I have begun to learn about Help Desks and Knowledge Bases. As our company
grows, we have discovered problems keeping everyone involved in a project up to
date. I suggested and am now implementing a communication structure for each
project. (Sounds impressive; but it's just a ton of writing). Basically, no one
else wants to deal with it; so they are thrilled that I am.

In the middle of the certification thread (Thread, Heck! It's a whole darn
skein!), someone posted a question about FrameMaker/SGML courses. That gave me
an idea to see about getting "certified" to teach FrameMaker (if that's at all
possible).

I also like the idea of learning management skills.

I purchased a ton-o-books (my company paid for half), most of which were
recommended by TECHWR-L posters (thanks!). Once in awhile, I actually get a
chunk of time to read them.

Someone posted a question about how we keep on top of the lastest technology
and tools of our profession and still have a life. I find it a challenge. In
order to learn about how HTMLHelp might fit into our documentation
deliverables, I've had to go back and start learning HTML and stuff about Java
and Active X 'cause half the postings and articles I read don't make any sense
to me. It also helps that I never felt that I had a life <g).

I offer to help other departments if they need me to pound on a document they
are writing. Sometimes it seems like they just need a proof reader, other times
I get involved in the document structure and message. Because of this, I've
been asked to assist in client proposals.

I always used to be passive and rarely spoke up or asserted myself. I have no
idea where I got the *spunk* but I have made myself known by getting ideas and
not being afraid to speak them. It's actually getting me places.

My 2 cents,

Kathleen Padova
kpadova -at- millstar -dot- com

My opinions, not Millstar's.