ADMIN: Certification

Subject: ADMIN: Certification
From: "Molis, Debbie" <Debbie_Molis -at- FREDDIEMAC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 13:55:26 -0400

To make myself more marketable as a contractor:

First, I try to never pass up an opportunity to learn something new,
especially if it's apparent that it's a "HOT" skill.

For instance, I recently took an assignment in which I worked on Web Help
Documents at a lower rate than normal. I have never developed Web Help
documents before, and this assignment gave me the practical experience that
I need to show prospective clients that I can develop these documents
effectively. Because I previously gained a general knowledge of HTML markup
language by reading anything I could, and applying that knowledge with a
couple of documents, I at least had a head start.

It is true, as someone recently noted, that companies might prefer someone
with more experience for certain tasks. But I find that we are in constant
demand, and that employers are not always going to find the "perfect" match.

And it also depends on the total mix of skills that you have. For instance,
say a client needs you to develop online help and CBT, and you only have
online help skills. You may be a proven online help developer, and because
of those skills and others, the client may want you anyway and trust that
you'll come up-to-speed as a CBT developer.

I learned how to create tutorials and demos in a similar circumstance.

Secondly, whatever my assignment, I try to take initiative. This could be
taking on a leadership role in a project, which improves my management
skills. Or it could be quickly thinking of creative ways to improve the
final product, which further establishes my reputation as someone who wants
to create the best product possible.

"Learning by doing" is key to remaining marketable.

Third, I try to create a broad portfolio of my work, so prospective clients
can see the range of what I can do.

Fourth, I am honest. I'm not going to tell anybody that I can do something
that I don't feel I can do. If I have little experience with something, I'm
going to say so. Prospective clients appreciate that. And it prevents rumors
spreading to other prospective clients that I am someone who said they were
experienced at something, but wasn't and ruined the project because of it!

Debbie Molis
Technical Writer
dmolis -at- erols -dot- com
Debbie_Molis -at- freddiemac -dot- com