Re: Technical Writing and Label Production

Subject: Re: Technical Writing and Label Production
From: Allan Sand <asand -at- FLASH -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 18:17:49 -0700

Try using Microsoft Publisher. They have a large number of label templates
available, and the amount of control over placement of copy is excellent.
For its price (around $80), it can do an extraordinary variety of print.
Plus, there is a very good newsgroup, maintained by Microsoft, with
excellent MVPs who are very helpful. (They won't laugh at the simplest
questions.)
Plus you can download a 60-day trial version. (Search for "Microsoft
Publisher"). As a former professional typesetter, I'm impressed with its
flexibility.
Allan Sand
( asand -at- flash -dot- net )

----------
> From: Lynda Shindley <LShindley -at- ANGEION -dot- COM>
> To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
> Subject: Technical Writing and Label Production
> Date: Wednesday, June 18, 1997 1:40 PM
>
> Is there anyone out there who designs and produces product labels, along
with product documentation? We want to spend less time on labels and more
time on manual production and other value added duties, but the company is
small and we wear a variety of hats. For now, we are keeping track of how
many hours we spend on labels alone.

> If there is a label expert out there, what software package do you use.
We (TWs) design the label in CorelDraw, give the design to the packaging
engineer, who then recreates the text in PrintWare. The text is printed on
label stock, produced by an outside vendor from our design. There is a lot
of duplicate work involved. We apply serial numbers, dates, etc. in-house,
so software must have a counting mechanism.