Snip it!

Subject: Snip it!
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 08:57:37 EST

I subscribe to techwr-l on digest, and these digests have been awfully long
lately, what with all the brouhaha over certification and all.

Okay, I can accept that. What bothers me is when people respond to a post and
include the _entire_ original post (which can be pretty danged long, especially
when dealing with certification), even the original poster's sig file and the
eight-line techwr-l blurb that the listserv tacks onto every message. Then to
add insult to injury, people sometimes respond to that message and we get two
whole messages, complete with *two* techwr-l blurbs!

Please, guys, enough is enough! Millions of innocent electrons are dying
because of this redundancy! Can't you hear them scream? Eric said it well in
his occasional "administrivia" message:

* Please don't quote extensively/excessively from other
messages. Just include enough to provide context.

Chances are, those of you who don't snip never thought about this before. I
bet you just keep the entire original posting because it never occurred to you
that this might be a problem for others.

Please, please snip! Sometimes less is more.

Thanks --

Melissa Hunter-Kilmer
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
(standard disclaimer and fortune cookie message here)