CHAT Re: 22.5 years to post a message

Subject: CHAT Re: 22.5 years to post a message
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 22:06:24 -0400

John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM wrote:
>I'm not even in the same _hemisphere_ as the listserve & I don't have any probs
>with slow msgs.

That's reassuring! I'm wandering over to John's neighborhood myself next
Wednesday (we're cat-sitting for my brother-in-law at his apartment on Rue
Claire while he goes off to visit friends in the south of France), and I'll
be depending on Internet transfer of email and file attachments to meet a
couple of deadlines with clients here in Rochester.

>If you think your email system is malfunctioning, test it.
>
>Send an email to your _own_ internet address, ie _not_ to your local email
>system address. See how long it takes.
>
>To test the listserve, set ACK, then cc a post to yourself. The time listserve
>takes to post you, minus the time your cc boomerangs, approximates listerve's
>processing / tx time.

I do this routinely, with a sampling of listserv messages every month or
so, and with -every- message I send to a client. It's very instructive.

>I read in a magazine that there's an internet Burmuda Triangle where clouds
>of msgs bounce around undelivered. In the future we (or our descendants)
>will receive msgs posted decades before, like msgs in a bottle.

Every so often I receive an email message that has apparently been bouncing
around in cyberspace for weeks. Just got one from a friend in California
that was sent back in March! What -do- those electrons do with their
spare time?

BTW, can anyone tell me *OFFLIST* what sort of converter gadget I'll need
for my laptop power cord and my modem cable? My BIL keeps a
Paris-purchased computer in his Paris apartment, so his setup already has
all the correct gizmos built in. I'm taking my trusty PowerBook, and I
just -know- I'm going to need all kind of fancy goodies to hook into my
AOL account.

Thanx.

@Kat --->Correct email address: katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net <---
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Editing / Web site development

"She was not awfully good at mathematics, and the
numbers one to ten seemed quite adequate to her."
/from _Automated Alice_, by Jeff Noon