Web Site Usability Report

Subject: Web Site Usability Report
From: "Jared M. Spool" <jspool -at- UIE -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 12:19:15 -0500

User Interface Engineering announces "Web Site Usability: A
Designer's Guide", our 155-page report on web site usability. Over
the last few months, we've observed over 50 users struggle with nine
popular web sites. This report describes what we've found.

I would be happy to email you Chapter 1, which summarizes the study
and it's implications on web site design. Here's an outline of the
chapter you will receive:

WEB SITE USABILITY: A DESIGNER'S GUIDE
Chapter 1: Web Site Usability: The Big Picture

Chapter Contents:
What Is "Usability" on the Web?
The Sites We Tested
"Scavenger Hunt" Tests
The Results
The Rankings
Room for Improvement
Beyond the Rankings
The Major Implications
Implication 1: Graphic Design Neither Helps Nor Hurts
Implication 2: Text Links Are Vital
Implication 3: Navigation and Content Are Inseparable
Implication 4: Information Retrieval Is Different than Surfing
Implication 5: Web Sites Aren't Like Software

To receive this chapter and more information on the report, all you
need to do is send mail to WEB -at- UIE -dot- COM with the words SEND CHAP-1 in
the subject field.

Or you can visit our web site at http://www.uie.com to get more
information on the report.

Jared

Jared M. Spool User Interface Engineering
mailto:jspool -at- uie -dot- com 800 Turnpike Street, Suite 101
(800) 588-9855 North Andover, MA 01845
fax: (508) 975-5353 USA
http://www.uie.com