REQUEST: Format Preference

Subject: REQUEST: Format Preference
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 21:53:12 -0400

John L Patterson <a342jpatters -at- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>wrote:

>What is the preferred method of justifying third level >headings, or more specifically, side headings that appear in >the left-hand column opposite the body text of a manual? We >have seen examples of both left and right

I think the only way to answer this question is: it depends on the
design of the rest of the manual.

The point of headings is to allow quick scanning of the material.3rd
level headings should resemble 1st and 2nd level headings enough so that
they are instantly identifiable as headings, yet be different enough
that they aren't confused with them. So long as these aims are
accomplished, there is no right or preferred set of choices.

--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter

"Oh, do not tell the priest our plight,
For he would count it a sin,
But we have been out in the woods all night
A-conjuring summer in!"
--Rudyard Kipling, "Oak and Ash and Thorn"