Re: Would you hire...

Subject: Re: Would you hire...
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 08:24:29 -0800

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 06:42:26 -0500, Chris Hamilton wrote:

>My question is this: if a technical writer were to take a year or two
>and program in COBOL because the money is incredible, would it hurt that
>technical writer's credibility with you if you were a hiring manager?
>All other things being equal, would you eliminate someone from
>consideration for a job because of the one to two year sabbatical to
>make some money?

If *I* were hiring manager... probably not, especially given your
situation (family to support and so on). In these tough economic
times, we all understand the need to make the cash grab when possible.

My main concerns would be whether you blew off another job in progress
for the opportunity, or left the previous employer in a tough state
with your departure -- I'd want to ensure that if I hired you, you
wouldn't walk out on me as soon as someone comes along offering a bit
more money.

Other than that, I'd probably view the COBOL experience as an extra
benefit, especially if we (the company you're applying to) have
COBOL-based products.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>