Powerpoint jaggies

Subject: Powerpoint jaggies
From: David Green <David -dot- Green -at- SMALLWORLD -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:33:42 +0100

Please can anyone help?

My Technical Transfer department is about to start developing 'core'
training material which includes overheads in Powerpoint. Training
centres worldwide will have access to this material.

We are designing a template (for fonts, colours, layout, etc) that will
look good through both high resolution LCD projector, and on older
laptops using lower resolution (i.e. VGA (600x480) ). In this way,
everyone should be happy!

QUESTION 1) Are we sensible to be aiming for VGA resolution as a 'lowest
common denominator' approach? Or, is SVGA (600x800) a better standard
that most laptops can display at these days?

QUESTION 2) Is there any way of getting fonts to project with smooth
edges at VGA mode? We are using Sans Serif (Arial) at 36, 28 and 24
point, but the egdes look very 'jaggy' when projected at VGA. (This is
with laptop at VGA mode and LCD tablet at VGA mode.)

QUESTION 3) Is there an 'optimal font' that we should try instead?

QUESTION 4) To get a plain light-blue background on our Powerpoint
slides which looks good (non-dithered?) at VGA resolution, and at better
resolutions, where can we look? (I've heard rumours about a pallette of
universally browser-friendly colours, that might be appropriate in case
we wish to display overheads in a browser in future.)

If you can help with any of these points, it would be great. Quick
replies would help, by emailing me directly (see below). (I shall post a
compilation of suggestions to the list too.)

Thank you,

David Green.

--
All opinions expressed in this message are purely personal and do not
reflect the opinions or policies of Smallworldwide Ltd.

David Green Ext: 2004 David -dot- Green -at- Smallworld -dot- co -dot- uk
(Technical Transfer Group)