Re: Long-distance contracts

Subject: Re: Long-distance contracts
From: Bill Brucksch <bbruck -at- HALCYON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 05:41:07 -0700

Greetings, all

Just want to add to the discussion of long-distance contracts, if I may.

I'm writing because I want to figure out how to best deal with a manager's
questions around telecommuting. Thought for starters I'd share my success
stories, such as they are, and go from there.

All my work has included some face-to-face contact, i.e., working in the
same general location as the customer. I started working as a tech writer
as a sub-contractor to a technical marketing communications firm. They did
all their work off-site, so the precedent was already established. No one
to convince. But what I did was make sure that my work was as good as
possible and that I met all deadlines. So far, so good.

Then I started shopping around the contract agencies in the area. Got work
through one of them. When I first met with the manager, I told him that I
preferred to work off site whenever possible. He said that his team all
worked on site, and I agreed to do so.

But my first day of work there, he said they were having problems with
office space, and would I mind working from home for two weeks or so. A
fortunate break...then, in those two weeks, he had a crisis; he needed
something edited ASAP. I turned the work around to him within the hour, and
he was pleased with it.

Over the course of working for him in the next six months, sometimes I'd
work from home a week at a time, sometimes I was on site all week. It
depended on the type of work, who I needed to speak with, etc. Whenever the
opportunity came up, I was sure to tell him about how much more productive
I was at home (which I figured at 30%).

What seemed to work for me was the fact that telecommuting was less
draining on their resources, I established my credibility early in the
process, that I met all deadlines, and that the job was getting done.

Bill Brucksch