Re: FWD: Place of documentation team

Subject: Re: FWD: Place of documentation team
From: Rogers George <reg13 -at- PIONET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:48:45 -0500

> I'm team leader of a group of 3 writers in the Engineering department
> of a software house.
. . .
> the documentation team leader
> reporting to
> the new position of QA team leader.
. . .
> My reaction is that (b) whoever heads a
> combined group responsible for both product documentation and testing
> has a conflict of interest,

This could still be okay if, as you mentioned, the person really is
loyal to documentation.

(c) we need at least one additional writer

(ahem) I happen to be job hunting. You wouldn't care to contact me
directly, would you?

> I've come up
> with one possible different structure, which adds an extra reporting
> layer to combine 3 of the programming teams. Can you see other alternatives?

Flatter is usually better. Maybe check into a few books on process
mapping for some reorg ideas. I hear that an organization work better
when arranged by project or process than by reporting structure.

> Assuming this structure does come into effect, what's my best strategy
> for dealing with it?

To coin a phrase, have fun!

--
Best wishes,
Rogers George (reg13 -at- pionet -dot- net)