Re[2]: Education and Productivity: Whats the Correlation?

Subject: Re[2]: Education and Productivity: Whats the Correlation?
From: Feeman Kevin SC2275 <Feeman_Kevin_SC2275 -at- SATGATE -dot- SAT -dot- MOT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 14:48:06 MST

Hillary Jones writes:

I taught college upper classmen for three years, students from a
multitude of disciplines, and many of them (though of course not all)
knew how to learn.

I agree with you. The college I went to taught me how to learn. Anyway, this
is a response to the last portion of your message:

<snip>

On a constructive note, does anyone have suggestions for how to get the info
you need from a reluctant SME? How do you overcome hurtles like being younger,
being female, being not a programmer/engineer, being new to the company? I'm
interested to hear how different people deal with these things.

Well, first of all, I am not a female, but I am younger (28), not a
programmer/engineer (no desire to become one!), and have been new to a few
companies (some by my choice, others not). I have run into those hurtles you
hint at countless times. I have a three prong approach to getting information
that I need. I don't know if this will help you or not, but...maybe it will.
Anyway:

1. I calmly talk to the individual. Tell them what my job is, what I need them
to supply me with, what I need their help on. During these conversations I try
to keep a steady voice, one that is confident in what I am doing. I have found
that if you are good at what you do, and it shows in your conversations, then
most of the times you can get what you want. I have found (not to use a really
old cliche) honesty is the best policy. Be forward, assertive, but not
aggressive.

2. If talking doesn't work, then I email the person with the information from
the conversation. With this email, I curtesy copy the manager of my
department. Within the email, I would put things as "your help is
appreciated," "I value your input," and "This manual is only as good as WE can
make it." This tends to put a little fire under that uncooperative individual
because now the manager is aware of the situation. I have found building a
small fire under the person is better to begin with. I have not over stepped
my position and I am not stepping on the engineer's/developer's feelings.

3. If the person is still being uncooperative, then I would go to that person's
manager, which in my case is the same one I put on as a cc. Tell them the
situation, get that person who is not playing nice involved as well.

4. If none of the above work, go postal!!!! (just kidding)

Well, that is my two cents worth.

Kevin Feeman
Technical Communicator
Envision, Mesa Branch
home email: kevinf -at- primenet -dot- com
work email: Feeman_Kevin_SC2275_at_satcom23 -at- satgate -dot- sat -dot- mot -dot- com