Re: Nice Furniture

Subject: Re: Nice Furniture
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:24:22 GMT

Thanks to Kate Folse for summarizing the results of the contracting
survey.

Just a comment on one of your comments -

>some folks considered office furniture <snip> that must be *Really* nice office furniture
I've found that picking my own office furniture is one of the little
joys of working for myself. At all of my captive jobs, I was stuck
with whatever was available. I worked on chairs that I couldn't lean
back in because they'd fall over, keyboards on desks, chairs too low
for the desk, and so on. As a contractor, being on-site is even worse,
since you get the office droppings in furniture selection.

I don't spend lots of money on my office furniture, but I pick things
that make sense for me. I like lots of space on either side of my
monitor, a drop-down keyboard, and a pneumatic chair. I also like a
U-shaped desk so I can swivel around to pick up the phone or grab a
reference book off the built-in shelf. I spent about $500 to get this
arrangement.

Happily typing at a keyboard I like and not one that Computer Support
thought was cheap and OK -

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Salutation, by Ezra Pound
O generation of the thoroughly smug / and the thoroughly uncomfortable,
I have seen fishermen picknicking in the sun, / I have seen them with untidy families,
I have seen their smiles full of teeth / and heard ungainly laughter.
And I am happier than you are, / And they were happier than I am; / And the fish swim in the lake / and do not even own clothing.