'ic' versus 'ical'

Subject: 'ic' versus 'ical'
From: Simon North <north -at- SYNOPSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:51:14 +0000

My turn for a question about grammar ... opinions please!

In my mind there is a subtle difference between 'logarithmic area
ratio' and 'logarithmicAL area ratio'. I hate the last, somehow it
doesn't feel right but I can't put my finger on exactly why not.
With 'electric' and 'electrical' the difference is easy to define ...
and all Fowler says is that "the choice is immaterial".

Isn't it amazing how little things like this can stop you in your
tracks?

Simon North - COSSAP Technical Writer, Synopsys
Synopsys GmbH, Kaiserstr. 100, 52134 Herzogenrath
Germany. +49 2407 955873 -- north -at- synopsys -dot- com
Voice mail: +1 415 694 4141 55055