Telecommuting

Subject: Telecommuting
From: Melanie Nelson <mnelson -at- PREVUENET -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:40:30 -0500

After reading Hillary's post and chatting with her, I'd like to
elaborate on her questions. I am proposing to management that
telecommuting is a viable option for TWs. I've already sold the idea
to management, researched it on the Web, have all the statistics, etc.
But what we can't seem to find are concrete methods of how to judge
productivity on and off site. What most resources seem to suggest is
measuring productivity as you do for on site employees. But what we're
after here are specific suggestions on what telecommuters are using to
measure productivity on and off site. Can you help? What do you all
do? How do you measure your productivity on site (or off site)? Are
you responsible or is management? What role do you play?

Please consider that I am a FT, permanent employee.

We've thought of establishing 12 month, quarterly, monthly, and weekly
objectives. Twelve month objectives and progress would be discussed at
yearly reviews and all other objectives and progress would be
discussed at quarterly and monthly meetings. Weekly status can be
updated via e-mail and phone. All objectives should try (as much as is
reasonable) to lead to the overall 12 month objectives.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated. :-)

Thanks!
Melanie Nelson
Prevue Technical Publications
918.488.4313
mnelson -at- prevuenet -dot- com

"Ask not alone for victory, ask for courage.
For if you can endure you bring honor to yourself.
Even more you bring honor to us all."