Re: Client Wants to Charge for Use of Equipment!

Subject: Re: Client Wants to Charge for Use of Equipment!
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 14:37:34 -0800

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997 11:45:00 -0500, Joe Sokohl wrote:

> Anyway, she's at the same place as before. Now, however, the bean
> counters have presented her with a hard-ball attitude (vis a vis
> contract): They want to charge her for rental of their equipment,
> space, telephone, software, etc. Meanwhile, they are requiring that
> she use their equipment (she can't use her own) and that she work on
> site (can't telecommute).

That's just plain absurd. "You must use our stuff, you can't use your
own, and we're going to charge you for rental of our stuff"???

First thing I'd be doing is going over the bean-counters' heads. I
can't fathom their superior(s) condoning such a bizarre requirement.

If their superior(s) have the same attitude, I'd be heading for the
door - I can't imaging working in a place that loonie.

My only question is, how much is she supposed to be getting paid? Is
the figure set in stone yet? If not, I'd be factoring the "rental
charges" into my fee. How much are the "rentals" supposed to be? If,
for example, the pay was negotiated at $30/hr and they want $30/mo
"rental" for their gear, I wouldn't worry too much about it, aside from
the "ethical" aspects.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>