Re[2]: Spacing after a period...

Subject: Re[2]: Spacing after a period...
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 10:26:22 -0500

>Umm, perhaps I'm being obtuse, but I don't believe the questions was
>"What do people do?" or "Why?" but rather "Which is correct?"

Let's think about that line you're drawing. You claim you ask "which is
correct" not "what do people do?" Do you really think anyone is *choosing*
to do something they believe to be incorrect?

The real question being asked is "Which do you believe to be correct?" and
that's precisely the question that has created the heat in the past, with
everyone quoting their favorite authorities to back up their position.

In a Nero Wolfe novel, the following exchange took place between Wolfe and
subordinate:

"Contact is not a verb."

"Yes sir, it is. Last time you corrected me I went home and looked it up.
Transitive and intransitive."

"Not in this house, it isn't!"

The moral of this apparent digression? One space or two is correct,
depending upon the house rules. If your house style guide requires two,
then two is correct. If your house rule is one, then one is correct.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224