A or An?

Subject: A or An?
From: Chris Betterton <ChrisB -at- SELECTST -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 14:39:51 +0100

I tried to search the archives about this one, but the server doesn't seem
to be working. And since it hasn't been on any of the "recurring
nightmares" posts, I thought I'd put it to the list.

I have the following phrase in a topic:

"... with a/an .eel extension."

The question is, should it be A or AN? Grammatically speaking, I would
guess you ignore the dot and use AN. But if you say it out loud, you might
well say "with a dot eel extension", in which case A sounds right.

When I read it, something in me twitches if I have AN. What do you all
think?

Chris