Re: To ellipse or not to ellipse

Subject: Re: To ellipse or not to ellipse
From: Peter G Margaritis <chief -at- NCMS1 -dot- CB -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 15:07:00 -0400

Darla Kennington <kenningt -at- t-iii -dot- com> wrote:
> We are having a large and ridiculous debate over putting an ellipse on
> all the buttons in our software (such as print, save, etc.) with the
> developers of the GUI. The Windows Interface Guidelines for Software
> Design seems to indicate you should leave the ellipse off of the
> buttons, but always use them in menus. I agree with this, but I can't
> get it through anyone's head.

Whoa! Back the software truck up!

ellipse - An elongated circle: a regular oval; specifically, a closed
plane curve generated by a point so moving that its distance from
a fixed point divided by its distance from a fixed line is a positive
constant less than 1

ellipsis - A number of marks or a mark (as ... or ***) showing omission
of letters, words, or other material; The omission of a word or phrase
necessary for a complete syntactical construction but not necessary
for
understanding.

I assume you mean the latter.

Pete Margaritis
chief -at- ncms1 -dot- cb -dot- lucent -dot- com