The ARRGH list (was 'recurring', etc.)

Subject: The ARRGH list (was 'recurring', etc.)
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 16:53:20 -0400

In a message dated 97-07-04 13:36:05 EDT, konradb -at- UL -dot- COM (BILL KONRAD)
writes:

<< >I'm not sure Jim's idea is practical if what he has in mind is an
>exhaustive list of all topics that have been discussed. But I do
>think there is merit to the concept of providing a list of those topics
>that cause an irresistable "ARRGH" response among long-time
>list readers. >>
I was very much thinking of the latter.

<<(remember, fewer than10% of the list voted to kill the certification
discussion)>>

As regards the 10% figure: it seems obvious that only a small percentage of
ANY group will be vocal. Probably far more just get frustrated and either
leave the list or simply put up with the annoyance.

The problem with the Certification thread was that it generated such a large
number of completely repetitive postings that simply deleting them, unread,
became a significant task. Certainly, another way to measure interest would
have been to create a private mailing list on that subject (as I believe I
suggested) and see how many people wanted to actively join such a list. That
option remains open to anybody who feels the subject was unfairly
interrupted.

But I suspect far less than 10% of the list will be interested.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles