Re: Free Speech on the Net

Subject: Re: Free Speech on the Net
From: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- VEDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 15:06:47 -0400

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Bill DuBay wrote:

> It is interesting to me that the ones so vocal against certification were
> also the ones most vocal in calling for a shut down of the debate. Hmmmmmm.

<soapbox>
Bill,

I agree with you that free speech is important in helping the minority
voices be heard over the drone of the majority. I also agree that a debate
on a topic as controversial as certification is inherently repetitive.
However, I do not agree that those calling for the shutdown of the thread
were necessarily those who were dead-set against certification.

I wanted to see the certification thread killed because it was generating
too much traffic in my mailbox and I did not have the time to read each
message relating to certification and its spinoff threads; *not* because I
have any opinion on the issue. I doubt that many people like to
arrive at their desk in the morning to find 150 email messages (twice
that after the weekend), fully half of which are related to a topic they
don't have the time to pursue.

Please reserve potential conspiracy theories for Oliver Stone film festivals.
</soapbox>