Re: IRS contracting rules that affect tech writers--possible change

Subject: Re: IRS contracting rules that affect tech writers--possible change
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 15:29:51 -0400

In a message dated 97-07-08 14:26:14 EDT, ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET (Richard
Yanowitz) writes:

<< The union reservation echoes my own (for history shows that many employers
will indeed take unpleasant actions towards employees if given the
opportunity). For me personally the change would be a great boon; the
current laws seem to discriminate against tech writing contractors, among
others, while providing a windfall for contract agencies. I would hope
(without much optimism) that Congress builds in protections for workers who
could be hurt by the change. >>
I'd second all of the above.

Having worked through agencies (mostly) until I moved to California, I hadn't
realized how the tax laws restricted my ability to find work directly. This
would certainly be a welcome change, personally.

But I think even tech writers have to be wary of a situation where people can
in effect treat you like an employee while not giving you any of the
advantages. And I'm only too aware that this could be disastrous for many
non-professional employees (maybe some professional too, but I think as a
class we have more clout) (not that individuals always realize that.)

I'd vote for fine-tuning, not a blanket overhaul.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles