Re: Measuring goals/benchmarking

Subject: Re: Measuring goals/benchmarking
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 08:03:06 -0400

No flame taken -- I'm not easily offended. You raise some
good points.

As I mentioned in my last email, my bottom line is that
writers need to develop measurements (I hate the word
"metrics", since right now it suggests bureaucratic BS)
that are useful to them. These measurements will need to
be customized to the type of products documented, types
of information products produced, environment, etc.

Pages-per-day by itself is not a useful measurement. However,
how do you estimate projects? Usually pages-per-day multiplied
by estimated number of pages based on topic estimates. If you
pay attention to your history (which is all I'm suggesting),
you start to learn approximately how long it takes to produce
certain info products, and you also start to see trends in
differences in SOPs, etc. Again, as I said before, don't measure
this by the writer -- it encourages bad writing. And, remember
your goal -- this is not useful for performance reviews,
but it is for estimating, for example. When you take any
measurement, note the conditions -- complete rewrite of
existing material? updates? new book? complex or simple
product? And so on. Don't get too granular -- this measurement
is a rule-of-thumb thing. We've got page-per-day rules-of-thumb
for writing, editing, reviewing, etc. Useful, but again,
not the whole picture.

Thanks,
A.
--