documentation DOES matter

Subject: documentation DOES matter
From: Michele_Berkes -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:47:00 -0400

Hello techwhirlers!

I thought I'd delurk to share a tidbit that I found rather reassuring.
I receive a publication called "Government Best Buys" which
occasionally comes in the same plastic pouch as my "Federal Computer
Week". They'll periodically perform comparative tests on various
computer systems available under various government procurement
systems and publish the results.

The part I found reassuring is that one of the evaluation criteria is
(drum roll please) documentation! Quality of documentation receives the
same weight as system design, setup, expandability, compatibility, and
technical support. I've seen excellent (or poor) documentation cited as
an important reason to consider (or avoid) certain products. It's good
to see the documentation being considered as part of the overall
package (not an add-on or afterthought).

Take heart!
Michele Berkes
michele_berkes -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov

P.S. If you'd like to look at their reviews, they have a Web site:
http://www.fcw.com/pubs/gbb/ .