Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Hillary Jones <hillary -at- NICHIMEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 15:08:36 -0700

Lynn Gold wrote:

> If you go into a tech writing program knowing zippo about tech writing,
> it's useful. I've recommended such schooling for a couple of friends who
> can put together a sentence but are "computer naive." If, however, you are
> already IN the computer industry working as an advanced-level tech writer,
> the only thing the degree is going to do is open a few more doors.

I still disagree. A tech writing degree can be rewarding even if you're
working as an advanced-level tech writer. It's all attitude. If you go
to a program where you know you won't be learning anything new, then
you're not going to learn anything new.

But if you go to the program with a goal for what you want to learn, and
you've got the attitude of "I want to learn and improve," then I'm sure
your professors (or your own initiative) will help you add to your
knowledge base.

Even if you're an advanced-level tech writer, there are things out there
you want to learn about, and any degree program will give you
opportunities to go out and find out about those things. A tech writing
degree program is a resource: it's up to you whether you'll get anything
out of it.

Hillary Jones

P.S. I can understand why people who've been working for years wouldn't
like going back to school. There's a lot of jumping through hoops and
hearing about stuff you already know. But higher education can still be
rewarding for those people if they make it be.