Re: ADMIN: Certification

Subject: Re: ADMIN: Certification
From: Ted Heatherington <theather -at- ALPHA -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 14:32:00 -0800

Eric asked:

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 07:59:04 MDT

"With that in mind, what do _you_ do to increase your
marketability and potential for a newer, better, more
satisfying position, either at your current employer or elsewhere?
Or, what should certain of your co-workers, ex-managers,
or current and former employees consider to make
themselves more valuable in the marketplace?"

Okay, some of these may seem obvious, even presumptuous, but you
asked:

First I know what I'm talking about (or I keep my mouth shut). When I
had my first interviews here, the department manager opened some
system schematics and (before he could explain them) we entered into a
deeper discussion about what the circuits did. As the only writer
interviewed who didn't need an explanation, and was able to freely
discuss the products, I was more valuable. Yes, we talk about other
things, but I am able to keep up to the SMEs on most stuff.

Second, I actually do the writing. Other writers (within the company)
are known to only edit what the SMEs write, or just guess and expect
the SME to edit them. I learn on the job, write about it, and
remember it. Within weeks here I was a respected member of the team
who understood what things did and why. By actually getting the
writing done, and not requiring anywhere as much from an SME, I reduce
their workload and I am more valuable.

Third, I meet deadlines with deadly accuracy. Or plant has gone from
a "best case" of 6-12 weeks late to "worst case" of 2-3 weeks early on
documentation delivery. This means all our products now ship with
finished manuals as opposed to the old habits of preliminary and rush
"quick copy" versions.

Fourth, I try to balance congenial and authoritative styles; I demand
respect and substance, but I also try not to tick people off. I learn
when their "slow times" are and don't waste time asking the same
questions 16 times... others in our office aren't so considerate.
-- I find that asking good questions at good times gets good answers.
-- I try to be productive credible: if I can help a project, I do;
if I can't, I stay out of the way.
-- If I say it can be done, it gets done!

Fifth, I have helped to ensure that what we ship >looks< like a
product from a reputable company. Because of company growth (and not
knowing better), the manuals we used to ship were often late and
looked like bad photocopies. Now, they are delivered on-time, kept
up-to-date, and are offset printed from Lino output with only a
minimal increase in cost.

Ted Heatherington
Sr. Technical Writer
Alpha Technologies, Canada