SUM'RY: Dept. names

Subject: SUM'RY: Dept. names
From: bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 10:30:25 MTN

Hi,
I got 11 responses to my query about what a technical
publications dept. could be called, to more accurately
reflect new duties like usability testing and
online/HTML doc dev.

Technical Communications Dept.

Technical Communications Group (TechCom for short)
Comments...
Job title: Technical Communicator

Technical Communications and Structured Documentation
Dept.

Information Development Dept.
Comments...
Many people still view a technical writer as a
technical typist because some writers are still
only typing and formatting documents and not
developing user information from scratch. Also,
since your department is developing online help
information and the roles of the software
developers and information developers are merging,
the term information developer fits right in.
Job titles: Information Developer (Junior,
Intermediate and Senior), Technical Communicator,
or Technical Writer (reg. and Senior)

Information Design Dept.

Information Resources Dept.

User Education Dept.

User Assistance Dept.

Product Information Dept.
Comments...
Job titles: Assistant/Associate/Senior/etc.
Product Information Analysts

Information Engineering Dept.
Comments...
Job title: Information Engineer

Product Development Division
Comments...
We have no technical writing department per se.
Tech writing is done by Editorial staff, or
outsourced.
Job titles: Assistant Editor, Associate
Editor, Editor, Senior Editor, Managing Editor.

MISC. COMMENTS...
The online stuff you're doing can still be considered
publishing, so Technical Publications Dept. is still
OK.