Re[2]: Degrees

Subject: Re[2]: Degrees
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 15:41:44 -0500

Some of us learn something, too. I know it's fun to bash those of us
with degrees, but could you at least respect the fact that some of us
worked hard and learned a lot from our degree programs.

This is the problem with this topic. It's just as much fun (and just as
easy) to bash the degree-holders as it is the non-degreed. The D's get
tired of hearing how that piece of paper on their wall isn't worth anything
more than the ink and wood fibers in it, while the unD's get tired of
hearing they should hand over money to prove they know how to do something
they are already doing competently. In the end it causes hard feelings, and
doesn't really settle anything.

Education, Knowledge, and Technique are always worth something; I don't
think anyone on either side of the discussion disagrees with that. It's in
the rest of the irrelevancies that surround this topic that we get bogged
down. Degreed people sometimes have trouble with the idea that it's quite
possible for some people to get through college without acquiring any of
the three; non-degreed people sometimes get overly defensive when it's
implied that the lack of degree indicates an inability to stick to
long-term projects.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224