Re: No-compete agreements

Subject: Re: No-compete agreements
From: Richard Yanowitz <ryanowit -at- NYCT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:55:08 -0400

At 09:43 AM 7/15/97 -0700, Elna Tymes wrote:

>I've never heard of an agency enforcing a noncompetition agreement
>regarding other agencies. The agreements are usually signed WHEN you
>are signed to work for one of their client companies, and are written so
>that you can't go to work for that client for anywhere from a year to 18
>months after the end of that particular contract.

My experience, too.

A twist on this, though: In Boston about 5 years back I encountered a firm
that demanded I sign a statement that I would not team up with people I met
throught their contract--other writers, esp., to do other contracts with no
connection to the current one. (I refused to sign and lost the job.) They
apparently had had some trauma where one of their contractors took some of
their other contractors to another job.

Richard Yanowitz, NYC
ryanowitz -at- bigfoot -dot- com

Freelance writers (including tech writers): join the National Writers Union
for contract help, grievances, health benefits, lobbying, community....

For further information, e-mail me or contact the union directly:
web site: http://www.nwu.org/nwu/
e-mail: nwu -at- nwu -dot- org