Re: Metaphors to aid description?

Subject: Re: Metaphors to aid description?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:06:17 -0500

----------
> From: John -dot- Cornellier -at- PARIS -dot- IE -dot- PHILIPS -dot- COM
[snip]
> ... Metaphors are
> powerful tools to help the uninitiated understand the complex, but
> quickly get in the way."

The author of the article in The Economist probably has never watched test
subjects in a usability lab. It's unbelieveable what average people will do
or not do in front of unfamiliar software (never mind they may be scared to
death of the machinery itself).

I've seen test subjects go down one path, discover that the path is not
appropriate, return to base, and then go down the very same path, not only
a second time but a third and fourth. I've seen users double-click
everything, even though they were just told that they need only click once
on everything. I've seen users press the F key and then the 1 key when told
to press F1. I saw one guy run a mouse down the side of the desk because he
ran out of space on the top of the desk but still hadn't gotten the mouse
where he wanted it.

With familiar "interfaces," users are more productive immediately. Writers
and UI designers need not resort to cartoonish ways; all that's needed is a
reasonable fascimile. At the same time, writers and UI designers should
build a quick path for those who want it. In writing, here's and example of
a "fast path" method for writing instructions:

-----start of example-------------
1. Bolt part A to the flat side of part B using a standard bolt.

Parts A and B are marked with the letter
A and the letter B, respectively. The "flat"
side of part B is marked on the part
by the number 2. The unit was shipped
with 10 "standard" 1" long, 1/4" bolts. Use
one of these bolts and one of the hex
(6-sided) nuts.

2. Locate part C and match the rivets on the circular end
to the holes on the circular end of part C.

Push the rivets through the hole ..."
-----end of example-------------

For the new user (i.e., someone not familiar with engineering and
mechanics, such as a parent with a new toy or bicycle), there are enough
instructions in the indented material to get them through this procedure.
And someone comfortable with assembly procedures, such as a mechanic or
engineer, can move quickly through the numbered items, only referring to
the indented material when needed. This structure, which is more physical
than anything, allows for two paths: (1) the new user, and (2) a fast path
for anyone who wants to use it.

Regards...Kris