Contents at a Glance

Subject: Contents at a Glance
From: Salan Pazurik <salstu -at- SMARTT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 22:58:58 -0700

Thanks for feedback, everyone.
I know an index is vitally important, but this manual doesn't have an
index or page numbers. It's a binder of procedures for an ISO 9001
quality system. Each 1 to 5-page procedure has its identifying number
(for example SMP 01.04) with its own page numbers (the old page 1 of 2)
to facilitate updates.
In the past, I wasn't prepared to re-issue the index with every
procedure that changed. I'm six months behind in changes as it is. But
I intend to start indexing in order to move the procedures online with
HTML.

As for the divisions, it's hard to create parallels to a bound manual
with chapters. This binder has four divisions with tabs (covering four
general types of work -- administration, manufacturing, etc), and about
30 sections or groups of procedures. The groups of procedures fit into a
one-page TOC. Then the list of 200 distinct procedures spreads over 6
pages. So it's choice of 1 page or 6.

I think the answer for me is the idea of puttting a table, graphic or
some kind of "site map" on the first page to orient readers. That was
the purpose of the Contents at a Glance. But a more graphical method
would serve the readers much more.
Thanks again,
Salan