Re: Metaphor abuse

Subject: Re: Metaphor abuse
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:32:16 -0500

geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA wrote:

>John Cornellier wondered whether <<metaphors flatten the
>learning curve but introduce long-term redundancy &
>inefficiency>>.

While we're here, let's talk about this "flattening the learning curve."
I'm afraid I didn't see John's original post, but it sounds to me like
he's saying flattening the curve means people learn faster. And
everybody says this... everybody says a program that's hard to learn has
a "steep learning curve." But if you picture a graph with time on one
axis and amount learned on the other, you'd see that a steep learning
curve means you learn a lot in a short amount of time.

If I understood John and/or Geoff, I apologize, and if I'm wrong, I know
someone will correct me, but if I'm right, let's stamp this out right
now, along with apostrophes after every s and the phrase "I could care
less" when you really mean "I couldn't care less." Join me, won't you?

Tracy