Re: How does one overcome...

Subject: Re: How does one overcome...
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 08:46:00 -0700

Pat Gantt asked:
>how does a female overcome the "What could
>a female actually know about tech. writing and
>computers?" not stated but thought objection???

If they can't tell what you know from looking at your resume, then
either your resume isn't doing it's job (unlikely) or the company and/or
it's interviewers/managers are biased against women in technical
positions. If the latter is the case, then why would you want the job
if it means that you'd have to work with them?

I've been there, though not in the recent past (people seem to have
become more "enlightened" in the last ten years or so), but I distinctly
remember that it was Hell on wheels!!!!!!! I was the manager of my
department, but I had problems when a new manager (male) was assigned to
be my boss. He wouldn't pay serious attention to anything I said, no
matter what it was. If I wanted one of my suggestions to be seriously
considered, one of my junior employees (a man and fortunately a good
friend) had to drop by the new manager's office and present my idea as
his. I figured that even if I didn't get the credit for things, at
least they were getting done! I dealt with it for three months, then I
found another job and quit, never looking back.