Re: Use of "your"

Subject: Re: Use of "your"
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 14:00:34 -0700

I was thinking about this issue just recently--In a novel I'm reading,
one of the characters observes that children are sometimes obsessive
about possessives (how's that?)--"his work" "her lunch" "my Daddy" I
don't know if the observation's true, but it got me thinking...

I decided I wouldn't use "your" in the stuff I'm working on now, because
it's technical stuff aimed at experienced programmers--computer
professionals. Saying "your keyboard" sounded condescending--it's not
like they might think you mean their neighbor's keyboard.

But I might use it with documentation aimed at novices (or maybe with
young children). I felt it sounded more personable, that it established
a tone that I can't really put into words. Maybe something to do with
wanting to make novices more comfortable with using a computer, I don't
know. I was going with the sound of it.

After reading the posts here, however, I wonder if the difference I
sensed had to do with professional versus personal use and actual
ownership. Curious, I've never been a stickler for accurate
possessives. But I haven't changed my mind.