Re: What do you think?

Subject: Re: What do you think?
From: Bob Handlin <Bob_Handlin -at- PROMINET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:22:25 -0400

Hmmm.... Let's slow down a bit here...

Are we making assumptions based on the world WE (the people on this list)
work in? I, for one, am not sure at all that people who write technical
manuals for jet engines and missle systems do so on computers. I have no
interest in that type of work, and don't spend any time thinking about how
some of these more traditional (and generally more old-fashioned) shops get
their work done.

What I DO know is: There are certain assumptions that we can make about
people on this list that definitely do NOT apply to the majority of the
general public:

1. We have access to the Internet (last number I saw on this was 10% of
the general public, but I know it's growing astronomically). Obviously
this requires a computer and access to an ISP.
2. We are not intimidated by the thought of getting set up on a
listserver. The less tekkie writers I know are *still* a little shy about
such things.
3. We are interested and remain interested in the topics discussed here,
which tend to gravitate towards software technical writing issues and
computer-based writing tools (IMHO).

Of course, on the other hand, it seems like EVERY advertised technical
writing opening asks for one computer skill or another, so my premise may
be faulty... My point is that once you get acclimated to a particular
environment, it's easy to be shocked by how small your piece of the world
is. If you don't believe me, think about the last time you tried to
explain to you in-laws why you wear blue jeans to work;)

Bob

bhandlin -at- prominet -dot- com