How does a female overcome...?

Subject: How does a female overcome...?
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:19:49 -0500

Pat Gantt wondered <<how does a female overcome the "What
could a female actually know about tech. writing and
computers?" not stated but thought objection???>>

The question is not how, but "why would you want to"? How
is easy... turn the conversation towards computer issues,
and blow them away with the depth and breadth of your
knowledge. The much harder part is determining whether this
is a pervasive attitude ("clean the office refrigerator,
make the coffee, and while you're at it, could you heat my
lunch for me"). Any company that's worth working for will
recognize that, on the whole, men and women are equals now
in terms of skills and knowledge in our field; any company
that doesn't recognize this, and that won't judge
candidates more on their merit than on their sex*, isn't
likely to make for a happy workplace for a woman.

* "People have sex, words have gender."--Miriam Bloom