Re: What do you think?

Subject: Re: What do you think?
From: Sophia Goan <sophia -dot- goan -at- HEIMDALL -dot- SDRC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 14:11:48 -0400

"Computers and networks are, as Dale Spender (1995) notes, an
environment of privilege-created by privileged white men and used
mostly by them-and those environments are quite often forbidding to
women and people from disadvantaged groups."

Okay- lets think about this

privileged white men...are we saying WASP.....are we saying, white
upper-class income men? Doesn't this specific audience have their
secretaries use the computers?

Here is another question.....since when is a computer, or a network, a
priviledged environment? It seems that an organization is computerized
and/or networked, or not. Sooo....could this mean that some companies
(such as software companies) provide environments of privilege?

Alright....now...we are following my logic ...yes...no.....(hmmmm)
.....A disadvantaged group would be employees at an organization who do
not use computers or networks.

Now....lets stretch this further.....Dale Spender seems to think
technical communicators are a group that don't need to use
computers...therefore that must mean that we are disadvantaged?

Am I beggin the question yet?

--

Sophia Goan
Not that I want to be a god or a hero. Just to change into a tree, grow