End-User Information Needs Assessment

Subject: End-User Information Needs Assessment
From: don -dot- lenk -at- LMCO -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 12:48:50 -0400

What information does the end-user need?
What delivery methods are the best?
What are the cost trade-offs?

My group develops paper tech manuals, traditional stand-up
training, interactive electronic tech manuals, computer-based
training, and imbedded training. Each of our development
processes includes some form of end-user needs assessment.

But -- we don't have a method of finding out which of our many
products (or combination) is best for the end-user,
or of determining the associated cost trade-offs.

Has anyone seen any research on this topic?

Does anyone have a process to do this?

Thanks,
Don Lenk