Re: Degree or Not Degree?

Subject: Re: Degree or Not Degree?
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 21:07:47 -0500

----------
> From: Jeanette Feldhousen <jeanette_feldhousen -at- MENTORG -dot- COM>
>
> I heard a radio report this morning about a study that showed that those
> with a college degree do much better financially than those without.
[snip]
> Of course, the study was funded by a group of private colleges and
> universities, so that might have skewed their conclusions.

We have to remember that, regardless of the statistics, there is almost
always someone out to the right (and the left) of the apex of the bell
curve. This means that regardless of the average, there are always
exceptions. And if the standard deviation is relatively large, there are
even more exceptions.

The one thing a college degree does is to provide the hiring individual
with the knowledge that, at least statistically, a degreed applicant can
learn more easily than and individual without. It's up the hiring
individual to determine whether that information is useful.

This thread is a little bit like the certification thread--there are alot
of opinions about what we need to do as technical communicators to bolster
our credibility. But until we band together and determine just exactly what
skills define a technical communicator, we're gonna go nowhere.

I know we've tried this before, but can we do it one more time? Answer
this: What skills define a technical communicator?

Regards...Kris