Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)

Subject: Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)
From: Chris Daunhauer <cdaunhauer -at- LSIJAX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:39:37 -0400

It's a mistake to look for the magic formula that will result in a resume
that gets you hired. In the past, I've shopped drafts of my resume around
to lots of folks, one of which was a personnel manager. And (surprise) I
got lots of different thoughts.

Subjective? You betcha!

Different people look for different things. Certainly, work hard on your
resume. I'd say that whoever looks at it will want to know why you went to
two pages. If they see two pages of "meat" there, you're OK. If they see
one page worth of meat spread out over two pieces of paper, they're likely
to wonder why you (a writer) can't get it down to a single page.

When you're finished with the resume (one page or two), sit down and work
on the cover letter. In many ways its more important than the pages (one
or two) that follow it. What should you put in there? It depends on the
job, your skills, the person you're writing it to, etc. Do "Audience
Analysis" and "Needs Analysis" ring a bell?

It's been my experience that very few people can write a good letter. As
someone interested in a writing job, you must be one of them.

Good luck.

Chris Daunhauer
cdaunhauer -at- lsijax -dot- com