TOC in Brochure?

Subject: TOC in Brochure?
From: Jennifer Jelinek <jlkraus -at- AMETEKWATER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 16:22:41 -0500

I'm revising/recreating a consumer info brochure for our retail water filter line...the brochure will be placed in front of our water filter displays at home and hardware stores, etc. The idea is that consumers will use this brochure to choose a water filter right then and there. So, the info has to be intuitively organized, easy-to-follow, and quick to read. I think I've done this.

Now the question. Our old filter brochure (five-panel double-sided) used a table of contents (panels were numbered as pages). The new brochure (six panels double-sided) is already tight on space, and I'm wondering how necessary that TOC is...does anyone really use a TOC in a brochure? Is it a time-saver or a space-taker (I'm in the latter camp myself).

Any suggestions would be helpful. Then I'll stop bugging everyone for a while I promise (what is this, something like 3 questions in a week or something?)

Thanks!

Jennifer Jelinek
jlkraus -at- ametekwater -dot- com