Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)

Subject: Re: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 23:55:26 -0700

At least for contractor-types, two pages covering a career more than three
years long is perfectly appropriate.

Many contract agencies scan in your resumes and then pull keywords out of
it so when they search for "DBA" they'll find everyone who's been involved
in database administration... the second page of my resume is nothing but
keywords covering everything from Automotive restoration and Armored
Reconnaisance to Traffic Analysis and Writing ( I wanna kick myself for not
studying xylophones and zither-repair in college, of course, but that's a
different thread <grin>.)

Many advisors have told me that page one of the resume should only include
the last five relevant contracts or three years, whichever is greater...
with ten contracts in five years (lotsa little specialty gigs), the Army
and my my first help system for the college finally got bumped off the
front page last year.... but I'm no longer asked what I did between 1987
and 1990 ( I was a machinist and trying to get back in the Army).

I think that three-year-gap bothered interviewers more than
not-having-a-degree, for some reason <shrug>

>From: DWeber <dweber -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
>Subject: Resume Length (2 pages ok?)
>
> I was always told as a rule of thumb, to try to keep my resume to one
> page.....at all costs.
>
> By doing that, I find myself having to remove what I feel is
> impressive project descriptions that were completed in college. To
> me, they show a more well-roundedness in experience, that I am not
> just limited to working in a defense/government environment (my
> current and previous employment).

Dan BRINEGAR, CCDB Vr2Link
Performance S u p p o r t Svcs.
Phoenix, Arizona

vr2link -at- vr2link -dot- com
http://www.vr2link.com
"Show up, be there, think it up and do it, exceed your job-description,
control your own means of production (that's yer brain)! "