Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)

Subject: Re: Inappropriate interview....(Long but I'm venting so it's ok)
From: "Williams, Diane (contractor)" <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 14:52:15 -0400

reply part deux:

>> I was also asked "When would you NOT use a SANS Seriff font?"
I've been a tech writer for 4 yrs, and honestly I felt this was a
"preference" question. Is there a real answer?<<

I'd say I'd generally only use sans serif fonts as captions, pull
quotes, and in tables; and I wouldn't use them in the body text of a
report or document.

>> Also, she asked me to name a reference book that tech writers commonly
refer to for guidance. I told her a Style Guide and Standards
Manual.
She said no, she was looking for a specific title. I asked, "Have
you been to the bookstore lately? There are many." Is there a
specific GODDLY book?<<

The stock reply for that question could be "Chicago Manual of Style" or
"GPO," but there are many others including scientific style manuals
published by the Council of Biology Editors (CBE) and the American
Psychological Association (APA). The New York Public Library also
published the _Writer's Guide to Style and Usage_. You should cite
these texts for such a question even if you don't use them! ;-)