Re: opinion on international date standards (kinda long)

Subject: Re: opinion on international date standards (kinda long)
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 19:32:33 -0500

At 05:38 PM 7/23/97 -0400, you wrote:

>One of my applications developers posed a question regarding formatting of
date
>for international use. I'm quoting the question as I received it, so "maybe"
>some of the language is geared toward inhouse usage.

(snipped)

>been made to me over the last few weeks and I am interested in receiving
>comments and feedback on both.
>
>1) Spell out the format, so that "06/07/97" would appear as June 7, 1997
>
>2) Use a UNIX based format, so that "06/07/97" would appear as 07 Jun 1997

John, for international use, you would do well to stick to #2. That's
pretty world-wide standard in my experience. Even if they don't use it,
it's easily understood.

Just as an aside...I am into genealogy and most genealogists (U.S. and
elsewhere) use this #2 format now. I was surprised to find this, but some
of us are dealing with data from outside the U.S. as well as sometimes
centuries old. It seems to be the most commonly-used format.

Jane Bergen