Re: Price Range for User Manual

Subject: Re: Price Range for User Manual
From: richard_schellens -at- MAIL -dot- GDT1 -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:16:50 -0500

This is one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" kind of
deals. If you have little experience estimating how long a manual will
take you, don't fix price the contract. After you have done several
manuals (by the hour), you will be in a better position to enter into
fixed price projects.

There is nothing more discouraging than trying to finish a fixed price
project when you know that you are making $.39/hour and you just want
it to go away.

All employers/contractors hate the "clock is ticking" feeling.
However, keep in mind that if you agree to a fixed price, the
employer/contractor often feels that they own you forever. There will
constant little changes and revisions, etc. that they will want to see
included under the fixed price. The only way around this is to have a
very detailed contract...which can take a long time to negotiate.

Why not simply say: "I charge $XX per hour for my work. I estimate
that this manual will take between YYY and ZZZ hours depending on a
number of factors including how much support your people can give me."

One last note: house builders are often willing to work by the hour or
for a fixed price. Generally the fixed price is 15% to 20% higher to
cover the additional risk. If you explain this to the prospective
contractor, they will see that paying by the hour may save them money.

Good luck,

Dick Schellens

dicksc -at- england -dot- gdt1 -dot- com