Latex and indexes?

Subject: Latex and indexes?
From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 15:05:18 -0400

AAAAAAHHHHH! Help!!!!

I sent a few messages out to various software companies this week to try
and churn up some contract work (this is the second response I have gotten
out of 10 messages I sent--20% ain't bad, eh?).

Now that I am getting responses, I am freaking out a little bit. I don't
know if I should try to take on tasks that are not necessarily in my
expertise. The following is the actual text I receive back from one of
these companies:

> We are currently updating a significant portion of our documentation.
> Have you worked with Latex before? We are converting all of our stuff
> to FrameMaker and we have one large Latex document to deal with.
>
> Also, do you build indexes, by which I am primarily referring to the
> act of identifying the topics and keywords and not simply the
> mechanics of tagging them in a given word-processor program.
>
> What is your background/training/company? Do you have a web page I
> can look at?
>
> -Fred

I have never heard of Latex (and I don't think this is a reference to
prophylactics or gloves) before. Anyone?

I have done some indexing for a manual that is less than 200 pages,
but depending on what he is talking about, this maybe more than I can
handle. Indexers... what do you think?

How would you respond to this message if you were in my shoes?

TIA

-Matt

p.s. I just had a thought... what if the guy who sent me this message is
on this list? Hmmmmmmmm?

Matthew J. Long
Technical Writer
mjl100z -at- mail -dot- odu -dot- edu
matt -dot- long -at- justice -dot- usdoj -dot- gov

-When you can't be eloquent, choose brevity!